As part of the planning for our new office, community space and café at the Great Field, Poundbury and a review of our internal governance the Alcohol Education Trust will change its legal form from a Trust to a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) with effect from 1st April 2020.
o Our name will remain the same – The Alcohol Education Trust (also known as AET)
o The trustees of the charity will remain the same
o The core object of the charity will remain the same – to advance education for the benefit of the public in the issues of alcohol, health and drinking habits of young people (age 11 and upwards) in the UK and their safety around alcohol. However, we have taken this opportunity to broaden our purpose slightly to better reflect the additional diversionary activities we also plan to undertake.
o We will continue in exactly the same way to keep young people safe around alcohol.
o All monies and assets of the existing Trust will be transferred into the new CIO on 1st April 2020 and the old charity will then be dissolved. Any restricted or designated funds will continue to be used for the same restricted or designated purposes
As a CIO we will be recognised as a separate legal entity which allows us to:
– Employ staff directly – not via individual trustees
– Own freehold or leasehold land or other property – allowing us to hold the new Pavilion building in the name of the charity rather than individual trustees
– Deliver charitable services under contractual agreements
– Limit the liability of our trustees as we move into new ventures
Things that will change:
– Our registered charity number will change from 1138775 to 1186202
– Our bank account details will change with effect from 1st April 2020
OSCR Scottish Charity Regulator:
As we operate in Scotland, we are also registered with OSCR under number SCO48482. OSCR do not permit two charities of the same name to co-exist so we are required to remove the Trust SCO48482 before we are allowed to apply to register the new CIO which will have a new registration number.